Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Learning Rx AWESOME!!

I can remember the first day of school for my oldest child. We were both so excited. I thought about how much fun school was (well until Jr High) and how much she would love it. It started off great, but half way through the school year, we were talking about "special" classes and "extra" help. Give me break, this is Kindergarten. I blew off and as she started 1st grade, she hated school. Homework that should only have taken 30 min would take hours. Tears and more tears as the year progressed. I started getting more involved and doing a lot of extra work at home. It just seemed like so much for a 6 year old. Meanwhile, my middle child had started Kindergarten and seemed to be doing great. Toward the end of year, it was suggested that I hold her back a year (based on maturity and her size). I couldn't believe it.

The next year started and I got a call from my oldest's 2nd grade teacher. "I think she should be in 1st grade". I told her no. She suggested maybe testing her for "Special Ed". I said no. I got the books at home and started working with her along with the teacher. We made great strides, but she was still staying below grade level. My middle child was facing the same issue's in 1st grade as she was in Kindergarten. I'm not saying she isn't immature, but she's smart and catches on to things quickly. And after researching on the web, the only ones who support retention is teachers!!!

So I heard about this Learning Rx program from a friend. Okay, it's an expensive program. And I was very hesitant. 5 weeks into the program, I KNOW this not only is going to give them the confidence and the I CAN attitude, but they will have skills that will help them throughout their lives. My 6 year old can tell you right now the first 20 presidents backwords and forwards in under 2 min. My oldest can in under 1 min.

I plan on continue to post on this site. Learning Rx is the answer I've been praying for and I wanted others to know.

No comments: